Professionals who come into contact with children in the course of their everyday activities play a vital role in identifying and assisting children who are victimized. New York State law requires many professionals who are licensed and will come into contact with children and families (i.e. teachers, physicians, nurses, social workers, dentists, dental hygienists, psychologists, optometrists, chiropractors, and podiatrists) to take a two-hour course in identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
1. Effectively report child abuse or neglect to the New York State Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (the SCR).
2. Assess real-life situations to determine whether there is “reasonable cause to suspect” child abuse or neglect.
3. Identify the common physical and behavioral indicators of child abuse or neglect exhibited by children.
4. Recognize the risk factors associated with parents and caretakers who may abuse their children.
5. Understand the legal framework underlying the child protective system.
For immediate access to course materials you can register for our self-paced online course. You will have full access to materials to read online or print and read at your leisure. When you are ready you can complete the online exam and, if successful, you will immediately receive a printable copy of the Certificate of Completion which can be submitted for your NYS licensure. This option costs $30. To register and take the online course click HERE.
For individuals interested in attending a live training, The NYSPCC provides bi-monthly trainings at our office in Lower Manhattan. Below are currently scheduled trainings for 2018. The training lasts two hours and costs $45 per individual. Participants will receive the course booklet and a Certificate of Completion recognized by NYS and applicable towards licensure requirements. To register for our upcoming trainings, click on your preferred date below or call Norma-Jean Richards-Daniel at (212) 233-5500 ext. 222